Monday, January 19, 2009

News From Around The Area


We’re in the middle of a nice stretch of dry water. Take advantage of it! The mainstem Siuslaw, Lake Creek and other coastal streams will be fishing. Drift fishing bait, jig fishing tailouts and plug fishing are some of the best methods for taking winter fish. There’s lots going on with our fisheries, and this is what I’m hearing when I put my ear to the ground:

Lake Creek and Above Forks Salmon Fishing Closure To Become Permanent?

There’s talk of making the emergency regulation changes of 2008 permanent in some areas – including closing Lake Creek and the Siuslaw above the confluence of Lake Creek to salmon angling. Snaggers and poachers have made for an enforcement nightmare for state police. Closing these areas of the Siuslaw basin would protect our fisheries for future generations. Support for this closure probably doesn’t make me very popular, but I do feel it’s the right thing to do.

2009 River Fishing – Keep the First Fish You Catch?

Those of you who fished tidewater this fall saw the same thing I did – large numbers of coho salmon in the river. While I didn’t see boaters intentionally targeting silvers in the areas I fished, I know plenty of folks who did see this happening. Even when quickly released, the whole process of being hooked and played stresses these fish and makes them an easy target for seals. Why not keep the first fish (or two) you catch, either species? Local biologists may be floating this idea. Each river system in Oregon needs to be examined separately when developing regulations. And if we have a strong run of silvers, better to let a few be kept in a day than releasing several to die before spawning.

2008-2009 Spawning Fish Surveys Looking Up

State and federal spawning fish surveyors are seeing more chinook and coho salmon this fall than last year on the Siuslaw. As surveys wrap up toward the end of January, I’ll keep you posted on some of the raw numbers observed.

Get Your 2009 Fishing License

Here’s a friendly reminder to buy your 2009 sportfishing license. My license, salmon/steelhead/sturgeon tag and shellfish license was a total of $52.75. Make sure to turn in your 2008 harvest tag. The state gives away a brand new driftboat every year to one lucky angler who turns in the old harvest card.

See you on the water,

Action Jackson

(Please send comments or questions to Action Jackson at 268-6944 or www.actionjacksonfishing.com)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is what I can't stand, "temporary closures" turn into PERMANENT closures. Then it is very difficult to ever get to fish or hunt these areas again. I disagree with these closures. I see this happening too often.