Wednesday, January 9, 2008

High Water Options for Steelhead and Salmon – Part II

In last week’s article, I began discussing some high water techniques for catching salmon and steelhead. Don’t be put off by the high water as these fish can still be caught! If you missed the article (or any others) please send me an e-mail and I’ll send you a copy.

I Know Where They’ll Be, So How Do I Catch ‘Em?
The method I favor when the water is high is known as plunking. In its simplest form, you place the bait in the water, put your rod down, and wait for the fish to grab the bait. There’s a little more to it the way I do it, but by no means is it “Rocket Science”. Start by using a 7 to 9-foot heavy action rod spooled with at least 30 lb. test monofilament fishing line. On the mainline (running to the rod), place a 3mm bead, a barrel swivel, another 3mm bead, and tie another barrel swivel. The barrel swivel between the beads is where you’ll run the dropper for the weight. Tie a 12” piece of fishing line (8 lb. test) to the barrel swivel, and tie a stout rubber band to the other end. The reason you’re using a lighter line going to your weight is because if the weight gets stuck, you can break it off without losing your whole setup. The reason you’re tying a rubber band on the dropper line is because you’re using a rock for weight instead of a traditional lead sinker that many use. What?!?! A rock for weight?!?! How can this be? Let me tell you why. First rock cheaper than lead. Rock free. Rock work good. Use lose rock, you get other rock. Secondly, when the fish takes the bait, the rubber band will often free from the rock, leaving you to fight just the fish and not the lead. Finally, and many anglers won’t want to admit it, but lead is not good for the river. The impacts of lead are well documented. I would be hypocritical if I bashed others for using it, because I do use it sometimes. BUT, I try not to lose any in the river and use alternatives when I can. Besides, while lead is still pretty cheap, rocks are free! Select one right for the water conditions, meaning one that will keep your bait on the bottom, but not so heavy that you can’t pick it up. Often, a golf ball-sized rock a few ounces will do. Now, double that rubber band around the rock and you have your weight. The reason the dropper line is attached to a swivel is so when a fish takes the bait, it won’t feel the weight, which might make a shy fish think twice.

If any of the rigging I discuss sounds confusing, give me a call and I’ll help you sort it out.

See you on the water,
Action Jackson

(Please send comments or questions to Action Jackson at 268-6944 or www.actionjacksonfishing.com)

No comments: