Thursday, January 17, 2008

South Coast Monster Spotted!




Last weekend 2 good friends and I headed down to one of our favorite south coast rivers. We weren't expecting much as the river was still high and off color. The first half of the day produced nothing. Todd casted his eggs into some soft water and fish on! This beast, estimated at 38 inches and 20-22 lbs. dragged us down river for nearly 300 yards until we could find a place to land it. Good thing we were in a boat.

Here's this weeks Siuslaw News story...
High Water Options for Steelhead and Salmon – Part III

During the last couple of weeks, I began discussing some high water techniques for catching salmon and steelhead. This week, I’ll discuss in more detail rigging and bait selection for plunking. As always, if you missed the article (or any others) please send me an e-mail and I’ll send you a copy.

Let’s Recap
On the mainline (running to the rod), place a 3mm bead, a plastic slider (or barrel swivel), another 3mm bead, and tie another barrel swivel. The slider between the beads is where you’ll run the dropper for the weight. Tie a 12” piece of fishing line (8 lb. test) to the barrel swivel, and tie a stout rubber band to the other end. Now, tie up an egg loop, add a 5 mm bead (to keep things spinning) and place your favorite spin-n-glo® on the leader and tie it to the barrel swivel that’s attached to the mainline. I usually use shorter leaders, approximately 24-30 inches. Salmon and steelhead in dirty water aren’t leader shy, so you can get away with shorter leaders and use heavier line (try 12-15 lb. test monofilament).

Hooks, Bait and Whatnot
Like I said above, my experience has been that these fish aren’t shy, and large baits are better in high water. You want lots of scent so it’s easy for fish to find your presentation. Tie your egg loops on larger hooks (4/0-6/0) and use large clumps of eggs (quarter-size clumps). Don’t be afraid to add scent. Check your offering at least every 30 minutes as high water moves more than fish – leaves and twigs moving downriver will foul your bait.

You Don’t Have To Be “Way Out”
Remember, salmon and steelhead moving upriver in high water will come up right along the edge of the main flow. Depending on where you set up, this can be as close as 5 feet from the water’s edge! Place your bait in the soft water, right on the edge of the main flow. I’ll often pick my spot to plunk where rapids or heavy water create a distinct edge. Every fish moving upriver will pass your bait!

If any of the rigging I discuss sounds confusing, give me a call and I’ll help you sort it out. And please join me next week when I talk about another current topic.

See you on the water,
Action Jackson

(Please send comments or questions to Action Jackson at 268-6944 or www.actionjacksonfishing.com)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think, that you are not right. I am assured. Let's discuss. Write to me in PM, we will communicate.

Anonymous said...

I consider, that you are mistaken. Let's discuss.